Ah February, the last month of winter, and whilst there are signs here and there that plants are stirring from their slumber the weather is going to be cold for quite a while yet but don’t worry, there are still plenty of things you can be doing.
Things to do:
- Did you give your shed and/or greenhouse a good clean last month? Hmmm…, if not, now is the time to get rid of any accumulated rubbish, broken pots etc.
- Thinking about replacing your lawn mower? This is a good time to get a replacement as business is slow for lawn mower sellers so there are great deals to be had.
- Give your tools a good clean and replace/repair as needed.
- Brush off soil from plant pots and trays if not already done. You may also want to wash them, particularly if they are going to be used for seeds or cuttings.
- Clear away leaves from the beds, lawn and paths taking care not to damage any of the bulbs that are starting to come up.
- If it is a sunny day, take a look at your garden and a make a note of which areas have sun and which don’t. This can help when it comes to planning plants next winter to provide some interest, colour and scent during those months when it is cold and the sun is lower in the sky.
- Visit your local garden centre and see what plants are looking good in the winter months.
- Organise some high energy food and clean water for our feathered friends (remember we want to encourage them to visit later in the year and help with pest control!)
- Your seed catalogues are probably well thumbed by now – not long until spring arrives so time to enjoy a bit of a break but be ready!
What others suggest
There are plenty of other things you can be doing this month and below are links to a few of those with suggestions: